Tenancy Deposit Protection Blunder Leads To £2,000+ Pay Out For Tenant

Our client rented a flat in South East London and paid a sizeable deposit in excess of £2,000.00. The tenancy started in March 2022 and the tenant vacated the property at the end of January 2024.

At the end of the tenancy, our client received just 60% of their deposit back, leaving 40% in dispute. In the opinion of our client, this sum of the deposit was unfairly withheld by the letting agent and they had suitable evidence to support this.

The letting agent in question made a real mess of this particular tenancy by failing to protect the deposit under the correct tenant’s names. Instead, they had protected the deposit using the names of the previous occupants.

The knock-on effect of the failure to correctly protect the deposit meant that a free dispute resolution service was not available to our client and there was no recourse for the return of the outstanding 40% of their deposit which was withheld by the letting agent.

This case was resolved swiftly and our client received compensation in excess of £2,000.00* plus the remainder of their deposit which was previously held in dispute.

Our client told us;

*All claims are handled on a no-win, no-fee basis


The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice or a client-solicitor relationship. All information, content, and materials available on this website are for general information purposes only and should not be used as the basis for taking any specific course of legal action.